Giving your makeup brushes a nice, natural cleansing might be easier than you think! The other day when I was cleaning out my bathroom supplies (a rare occasion) I thought I’d also give my brushes a scrub (another thing I don’t do often enough). I reached for the cleanser I had used in the past that is specifically made for makeup brushes, but when I read the label I was surprised to find loads of weird chemicals.
Luckily, I had to look no further than right under my sink for a quick replacement. Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap is all you need to get your brushes looking new again. An added benefit is the serious softness you’ll experience when the brushes are dry and ready to use. Really, I took a whole lot longer to put on my blush, because it felt as though I was applying it with a cloud on a stick.
Here are the easiest steps in the world on how to clean your brushes:
1. Gather up your brushes in need of cleansing (including your mascara wand) and a bottle of Dr. Bronner’s soap in your scent of choice. Lavender is my favorite!
2. Pour a small amount of Dr. Bronner’s into a bowl.
3. Add water and swoosh brush around with gentle pressure to make sure the brush gets thoroughly sudsy.
4. Run water through the brush while swirling in the bowl until the water runs clear.
5. Give your brush a little squeeze to get the excess water out. Please excuse my very red hand…the water was hot.
6. Lay brushes out to dry overnight on a clean wash cloth/hand towel.
7. Lastly, enjoy the amazingly soft, clean bristles upon your happy skin the next day!
Have any other Eco-Pro Tips for cleaning make up supplies? Let us know in the comments below!